Health Care Innovation and Research Finalist
VQ OrthoCare® Named Health Care Innovation and Research Finalist in 4th Annual Health Care Champion Awards Presented by the San Diego Business Journal
Finalists Recognized at Special Awards Reception Ceremony on July 22nd at Doubletree Hotel in Mission Valley, Calif.
SAN DIEGO – August 3, 2010 – The San Diego Business Journal recently named VQ OrthoCare® a Health Care Champion Award finalist in the health care innovation and research category. Now in its fourth year, this event recognizes individuals and organizations in San Diego that are making a significant impact on the quality of health care. This year’s finalists were recognized at a ceremony on July 22nd, at the Doubletree Hotel in Mission Valley, Calif.
“The BioniCare® Knee System by VQ OrthoCare is the first non-surgical, non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical, alternative treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee,” said Jim Knape, president and founder, VQ OrthoCare. “27 million Americans are living with osteoarthritis, costing the American health care system approximately 186 billion dollars annually¹. In 2008, 15 to 18 billion dollars were spent on total knee replacement surgeries. This number is expected to skyrocket 700 percent by the year 2030. BioniCare offers patients a life changing alternative to surgery and significantly lowers health care costs and it’s an honor to receive recognition from the San Diego Business Journal for this breakthrough in osteoarthritis treatment.”
The Health Care Champion Awards recognizes organizations and individuals in seven unique categories:
- Health Care Management: honors individuals who manage the business of health care including, senior corporate officers and mid-level and line managers working inside the health care delivery system.
- Health Care Innovation and Research: honors individuals or organizations primarily responsible for a scientific discovery or development of a new procedure, device or service that can save lives or improve quality of life for a large number of people.
- Health Care Educator: honors individuals who have done an exemplary job of teaching, training, and guiding those with a future in the health care industry.
- Community Outreach: honors individuals or organizations for leadership in focusing on solving a particular health care issue.
- Physician: honors physicians whose performance on the job is considered exemplary by patients and peers.
- Nurse: honors individuals from the nursing field whose performance on the job is considered exemplary by patients, peers and physicians.
- Health Care Staff: honors individuals who work in the health care field and are committed to providing quality comfort and care.
For more information, on VQ OrthoCare, visit www.vqorthocare.com. For more information on BioniCare, visit www.bionicare.com. For more information on the San Diego Business Journal Health Care Champion Awards, visit www.sdbj.com.
About VQ OrthoCare
VQ OrthoCare is a leading manufacturer and provider of non-invasive medical solutions focused on bone, joint and soft-tissue conditions. VQ OrthoCare’s commitment to treating patients with respect and supporting them in achieving optimum outcomes is unmatched in the industry. Services include in-home patient fitting of braces and medical devices, and technology-enabled compliance monitoring. VQ OrthoCare’s orthopedic products include: SurgiStim4, OrthoStim4, FastStart EMS, FastStart HVPC, VQ Vector, and the OActive Knee Brace and BioniCare System. VQ OrthoCare is registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a medical device manufacturer and specification developer. For more information, visit www.VQOrthoCare.com or call (800) 452-7993.
1 Kotlarz H, Gunnarsson CL, Fang H, et al. “Insurer and Out-of-Pocket Costs of Osteoarthritis in the US.” Arthritis Rheum. December 2009. 60;12:3546-3553.Epub ahead of print November 30, 2009